Making your Time in the Car Valuable with Aromatherapy:
According to research, the average American driver spends over 17,000 minutes driving each year. This involves driving the kids around, running errands, trips to the store, and of course, work commutes.
It can be tiring and stressful to be stuck in the car for so many hours of your life, but there’s a way to turn this time into something positive. What if you could emerge from a long commute and feel as though it were time well spent? It is possible.
The Best Car Diffusers on the Market - Quick List
A car diffuser is a method for rejuvenating your soul and lifting your spirits during those long commutes and seemingly endless afternoons spent behind the wheel. Let’s take a look at some of the best products on the market for this purpose.
1. Arospa Electric Car/Indoor Essential Oil Diffuser/Humidifier/Purifier With Car 12V and wall plug in Adapter
2. Carzen Electric Portable Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier & Essential Oils Aroma Car Diffuser
3. Car Humidifier Air Purifier Aroma Diffuser Aromatherapy Mist Maker Fogger Humidificador
4. XZAQ Tour Essential Oil Litemist Aromatherapy Travel Car Diffuser, Black/White, 1 Ounce
5. NexGadget 50ML Mini Usb Car Essential Oil Purifier Diffuser
The Best Reasons to Use a Car Essential Oil Diffuser:
Investing in a diffuser for your car is the perfect way to not only boost your mood while driving but alleviate the symptoms of various health conditions. Let’s look at some other benefits.
- Sinus relief
- Relief from anxiety
- Anti-depressant properties
- Moisturized lips and skin
- Air purification
- Throat protection
Whatever your ailment is, there’s an essential oil suited for it. Some oils even have multiple purposes, which we will discuss later on in the article.
If you’re ready to start making your long, stressful commutes more relaxing and beneficial to your health, it’s time to invest in a car aroma diffuser. If you need help picking out a home option, see our 2017 list of highly recommended essential oil diffusers.
Auto Diffusers Reviewed
#1 - Arospa Electric Car/Indoor Essential Oil Diffuser/Humidifier/Purifier With Car 12V and wall plug in Adapter
This option comes with both a standard home adapter and a car adapter so you can have your scents at home and on the road. The scent lasts for hours, and the product is made from anti-rust materials. Let’s look at some other features of the Arospa Electric Car Diffuser.
- Choose between high and low mist level options
- Automated shutoff function
- Extra protection on the side vents.
The Arospa diffuser creates a mist with ultrasonic technology and ultrasonic vibrations. Only two basic ingredients are required; essential oil and water.
A Well-placed Cord and Controls:
The controls of this unit are located on the top portion of the product, making them more accessible when the diffuser is secured. With some diffusers, the cord is located on the bottom and can be hard to see, but this product has the cord on the side where it’s easy to find and manage.
- A Long-lasting Water Reservoir: Compared with other USB oil diffusers, this option has a longer lasting water reservoir.
- Short Intervals: The simple functions of this diffuser allow you to adjust the mist setting to high or low, or activate an interval of 20 seconds.
- A Universal Size: The Arospa diffuser has a bottle shape to fit into your car perfectly and offers you Aromatherapy on the road and a humidifying effect for your car’s interior. Simply choose the essential oil you prefer to lift and engage your state of mind as you drive.
- Smaller Amounts of Mist: Since the product is designed for cars, it produces a smaller amount of mist that might not work as well for larger spaces. In the car with the windows up, though, it works well
- The Strength of Scent: Some may find that the small gets really strong with this unit, so make sure you use the appropriate amount of oils and utilize the intermittent setting if needed.
#2 – Carzen Electric Portable Mini Ultrasonic Humidifier & Essential Oils Aroma Car Diffuser
This option on our list of mini diffusers is easy to use. Simply pour some water into the tank, adding your choice of oil if you choose, then insert the device into the charging port in your car. The package comes with a user manual, extra sponge, and the car diffuser/humidifier itself.
The Carzen Electric Humidifier is Versatile:
The best diffuser for those needing something extra portable, this option allows you to choose between a diffuser or humidifier setting. It's practical set-up will let you get the boost you need from your favorite oils quickly. The unit can be damaged if it’s run without water, so there is an auto shutoff function included with it.
Things to Keep in Mind:
With this diffuser, you should use essential oils that are water soluble instead of greasy. Your car has to be running in order for the unit to work and always make sure there’s water inside the tank before you turn it on. Here are some other considerations to make:
- Device Safety: Always remember to check the humidifier for water after its automated shutoff function has been activated. This will ensure the longest life possible for your product.
- Replacing the Sponge: When you notice that the mist isn’t as thick, the sponge needs to be replaced (with the included spare sponge).
- When it’s Off: When you’re done using your diffuser, remember to detach it from power, pour the liquid out, and store it somewhere dry and cool.
- A Convenient Size: This unit is a small enough size to leave in your car without it getting in the way or causing a hassle. While other products can be bulky, this one is nice and compact.
- Flexible Rotation: This device rotates 180 degrees, so you can enjoy your diffusing or humidifying experience exactly the way you prefer.
- Functional: The Carzen Humidifier/diffuser has a water tank with a 50ML capacity, allowing up to two hours of use. Make sure you are watching the fill line closely, or you may have troubles running the diffuser.
- A bit Tough to Turn on: Turning this unit on takes the right amount of pressure and may take a few tries or some time to get used to.
- More Parts than Others: This unit comes with more pieces than others. Make sure you don’t lose any tiny pieces (such as the spring under the filter), or the device won’t function optimally.
#3 – Car Humidifier Air Purifier Aroma Diffuser Aromatherapy Mist Maker Fogger Humidificador with 2 USB Charger Port (Blue)
This option is suited for your car cigarette lighters in various areas of your car (not just the front). It has an adjustable angle bracket for flexibility and rotates a full 360 degrees. The model is portable, lightweight, and simple to fill.
The Extra Charging Port on this Product
In the packaging, you will find one humidifier and aroma diffuser, a user manual in English, and one spare filter. While most car diffusers take up the charging port on your car, this product stands out because of its dual charging capabilities.
The Best Option for Business Professionals:
The design of the product has two USB ports for power, allowing you to use the diffuser and charge your smartphone simultaneously. This is perfect for businesspeople who rely on their smartphone for work and cannot afford to let it die. Let’s look at some of the benefits offered by this option.
- Setting Choices: The diffuser comes with three different options: Humidify and diffuse, shut off, or just diffuse.
- Easy and Efficient: This device is easy to operate and works efficiently. Just plug it into the car, fill up the water, and enjoy full humidification in your vehicle.
- Affordable: The best budget pick on our list, this unit is highly affordable for those who want to enjoy essential oils in the car but are looking to save some money.
- Different Color Options: Choose between four options for the color of your unit so that it fits in with your car and unique personality. The unit has an elegant shape and an attractive design to fit with its surroundings.
- Light Tubing: The adjustable tubing included with this product is light and long, meaning that the water may cause it to drop down.
#4 – XZAQ Tour Essential Oil Litemist Aromatherapy Travel Car Diffuser, Black/White, 1 Ounce
This option is best suited for those who are looking for a diffuser with a slightly bigger tank and stronger power. The XZAQ Tour Essential Oil Litemist holds 60ML in its tank and operates on 8-watt voltage, lasting up to four hours at a time. The diffuser is mid-size compared to other models, making it ideal for travel needs.
The product fits perfectly in your car’s cup holder and disperses oil well even in a room of moderate size. It comes with two different settings to choose from along with an intermittent option.
What Sets this Oil Diffuser Apart?
Given its larger size and higher power, this device sure packs a punch. This essential oil diffuser can be brought on the road and inside your home.
- Made from Safe Materials: The diffuser is crafted from BPA-free materials, making it health friendly.
- Quiet: The LiteMist system sends your favorite oils into your car silently and efficiently. It’s so silent; you might forget it’s even on! Thankfully, it comes with an automated shutoff, so you don’t have to worry about leaving it on.
- Twist-and-Lock Lid: The lid on the diffuser twists and locks, meaning it’s safe for travel and won’t spill in your car.
- No USB Cable Option: The only real downside to this product is that it requires a cigarette lighter to work. Some may find fault with the fact that this device doesn’t have an include USB cable option for use.
#5 – The Best Car Scent Diffuser - NexGadget 50ML Mini USB Car Essential Oil Purifier Diffuser
When you order this product, you’ll receive the diffuser, a user manual, and a power adaptor. This miniature, elegant USB diffuser/humidifier works for your office, home, and more compact areas like the car.
The humidifier can refresh your air, adjust the temperature inside, and provides you with energy and health benefits.
A Natural, Wood Grain Design:
This compact option works best for those with limited space in their car who still wish to benefit from the joys of essential oils. Weighing in at only 200 grams, the NexGadget is unique in that it has a natural look to it, rather than more digital or computerized-looking products.
The mist put out by the NexGadget is cool, making it safe for pets and curious children. It fits easily and effortlessly into your car’s cup holder, making your commute instantly more enjoyable. For this reason, and more, it’s our top pick on the list. What makes it the best option?
What to Keep in Mind:
The oil diffuser will run for about two hours and then will likely need refilling. Make sure that you clean the device after you’ve used it a few times, or when you’re using a new oil. Wiping it down with a wet cloth should be sufficient.
Tap water may be used with the product, but distilled water is optimal. Make sure you never fill the water too light, since less water will create more mist.
- Versatile: This product comes with a USB connector, allowing it to work with all USB-compatible devices, such as a power bank, computer, or of course, the car. You’ll also find a wall adaptor, making the humidifier suitable for indoor use.
- LED Light: The NexGadget comes with seven colors of LED lights, which many other products do not, allowing the product to double as a night light. Choose between a dim light and brighter for each color included.
- The light is visually pleasing and designed to be an attractive effect, but not bright enough to fully light a room, so it won’t disturb you. You can also choose to have no light if you want to run it during bedtime.
- Saves Energy: This product is built with low energy consumption in mind, running at about 5 watts. This protects your power bill and the oil diffuser itself. It runs at a quiet volume, allowing for relaxation inside and out of your car.---A Great Warranty: This product comes with quality customer service, an 18-month warranty, and a money back guarantee up to 45 days.
- Should be Used in Smaller Rooms: In order to get the maximum results from this product, it should be used in smaller rooms. Otherwise, you may not smell the oil very strongly. For this reason, the product is best suited for the car.
- Lid Security: The lid on this device isn’t as secure as some competitor’s products, so make sure you’re careful driving around with it.
- The buttons on this device aren’t very easy to see. Some will consider this a pro because it increases the visual appeal of the diffuser, but others may find this a bit of a hassle. This is in reference just to the LED lights.
There’s no doubt that essential oils can bring you many psychological and physical benefits (and if you are still on the fence, read this article). Bringing essential oils into your vehicle can transform your commute and your mood for the entire day with one simple change.
You can Benefit from an Oil Diffuser if…
- You need to improve your focus.
- You spend a lot of time driving.
- You feel stressed out on a regular basis.
- You enjoy pleasant smells.
- You want to enjoy driving more.1
The Importance of Choosing your Oils with Care:
But as valuable as these natural substances are, there’s a safe way to use them. It’s very important to carefully choose which scents you will use while driving. Scents that have too calming of an effect can actually prove to be dangerous by causing drowsiness or even sleep.
On the other hand, you don’t want to use a scent that’s going to over-stimulate you and make you impatient, reckless, or irritated while driving. To help make this decision easier for you, we’ve compiled a list of oils that are safe to use in your car.
Car-Safe Essential Oils:
Tea Tree: Tea tree is a scent that isn’t suited for everyone, but has very powerful medicinal benefits. The oil can leave your car free from stale air, making it smell sanitized.
Tea tree has also been proven to help clear up acne, so if you struggle with it, make sure to pick some up. Read more about that here.
Cinnamon: This spicy and sweet scent stimulates focus and enhances your mental energy. It also contributes to proper blood flow in your body, helping your brain stay awake and alert on the road.
Mandarin: This relaxing oil will help rid you of restlessness without causing you to feel drowsy. If you are one of the many people who spends a lot of time in the car, this will help make it into a more peaceful and calming place to be.
Eucalyptus: This strong smell gives a relaxing and sinus-clearing scent to your car. Feeling feverish or suffering from a cold? This is the oil to choose.
Ginger: Ginger is useful for relieving car sickness and general nausea and also has positive effects on your digestive system. It’s also a peaceful and enjoyable scent to smell while driving.
Orange: This scent is especially useful for longer road trips since it helps to fight car sickness and general nausea. The smell is invigorating and uplifting, especially when combined with cinnamon.
Basil: This strong scent has properties that fight depression and help you combat fatigue while driving. Effective for fighting motion sickness and indigestion, the calming oil is multi-purpose and great to have on hand.
Grapefruit: Citrus oils are very invigorating and soothing, reducing stress and increasing focus without any drowsiness involved. This scent is clean and stimulating, making your commute lively and interesting.
Lemongrass: This scent is strong, yet calming. Use it in your car for heightened focus and as a way to clean up the air and make it fresher. This oil can also be used to keep mosquitos away.
Peppermint: Peppermint will help you stay awake, alleviate depression, and lift your mood overall. If you are having a tough morning and feeling irritable, this is the perfect way to reset your mood. Make sure you use it in small doses though, since it’s quite strong.
Coffee: It’s no secret that caffeine has a stimulating effect on your mind, but even the mere scent of it can help you stay alert and awake. Coffee has a very soothing and pleasant smell which helps you feel more energized without needing to drink the beverage.
Rosemary: This is another powerful oil that helps improve focus and concentration while on the road and can help fight bloating and constipation.
Unsafe Oils to Use while Driving:
Now that we’ve discussed all of the essential oils helpful for increasing alertness and focus while driving, are there any that should be avoided in such a situation? Below are some essential oils that can lead to relaxation and calm; positive states, but not suitable or safe for driving.
· Lavender: Lavender has been used for many, many years as a treatment for anxiety and insomnia. For this reason, it’s best to keep that scent out of your car’s diffuser.
· Ylang ylang: This oil induces a calm state of mind and helps with mood. The oil even helps promote shiny, healthy hair. But unfortunately, it isn’t safe for use on the road. Save this oil for your home diffuser.
· Roman Chamomile: This flower is widely known for its use in sleep or bedtime teas, due to its natural calming properties. Chamomile essential oil used in a diffuser also has a relaxing effect, so avoid this in the car.
Among the other oils to be avoided while driving is bergamot, which relaxes the mind. Don’t use marjoram or sandalwood while driving either. Make sure you do your research on these oils, so you’re always safe while on the road.
Other Ways to Use Essential Oils:
You are only limited by your imagination when it comes to making use of essential oils. Depending on the oil being used, you may be seeking an energy boost or a calming, mood-enhancing effect. Here are some methods for that:
· Inhaling Oil Directly: This can be done by rubbing some oil on your hands with a carrier oil, then smelling the oil as you cup your hands around your face.
· Wearing them on your Body: Most essential oils can be mixed with a neutral carrier oil, such as olive, or unscented lotion, and worn on your body.
· Using them in a Bath: Make your bath more invigorating or relaxing (depending on your needs) by adding essential oils to the tub. Just a couple drops will be enough.
Who should not Use Essential Oils?
People who have serious asthma, specific allergies, or are pregnant should stay away from essential oils unless a doctor has given them the okay to do so. You should also avoid essential oils if:
· You have high blood pressure. Stimulating oils, like spike lavender and rosemary, can cause an adverse reaction for those with this condition.
· You are on chemotherapy. Make sure you consult your doctor before using any essential oils to make sure it’s safe.
· You have estrogen-related tumors like ovarian or breast cancer. Clary sage, sage, aniseed, and fennel have compounds similar to estrogen and can be dangerous.
Avoid these Oils if Nursing or Pregnant:
Although essential oils are generally healthy and safe, there are always exceptions. Essential oils shouldn’t be used at all if you’re only in the first trimester, but any pregnant or nursing mother should avoid the following:
- Clary sage
More Safety Considerations for Essential Oils:
· Child Safety: Essential oils should always be kept away from where children can reach them.
· External Use Only: Essential oils should almost never be used internally, particularly strong oils such as eucalyptus and wintergreen. Although some oils can be safely used in highly diluted states for toothpaste and other purposes, it’s better to avoid this.
· Avoiding Contact with Eyes: Make sure the oil never comes near your eyes as this can be extremely harmful.
· Possible Side Effects: The majority of inhaled and topical essential oils are considered safe for most people. As mentioned before, taking the oils internally is almost never a good idea. In very rare cases, essential oils can lead to side effects like a headache, rash, and in severe instances, nerve damage.
· Flammable Substances: Most essential oils are very flammable and volatile. For this reason, always keep them away from any open fire.
How to Test
for Sensitivity to Oils:
Some people have a sensitivity to certain oils and shouldn’t use them. Before using any essential oil, find out whether you are allergic or not first.
In order to find out whether you’re sensitive to a particular oil, mix a drop of the oil with some olive oil, then rub it on the top of your hand. If no itching or redness occurs, the oil should be safe to use both topically and in your car’s oil diffuser.
Caring for your Oil Diffuser:
Caring for your product will ensure that it lasts as long as possible. In order to clean your oil diffuser, detach its water tank and risk it with a mixture made from half water, half white vinegar. You can use rubbing alcohol with Q-tips or cotton swabs to clean the unit, but make sure you stay away from cleaners that could harm its digital components.
*This is only general advice and proper care will vary from product to product. For the most accurate cleaning instructions, check your product’s user manual.
Some of the many health advantages of using oils for aromatherapy include lessened depression, reduced anxiety, higher levels of energy, more effective healing for your body, and better sleep patterns. Essential oils can also help get rid of headaches, heighten mental performance, increase circulation, and improve your body’s digestion.
Scent’s Effect on the Body- How it Works:
Aromatherapy is a highly interesting alternative medical treatment that uses essential oils. These can be inhaled to treat numerous health issues, change states of mind, and improve mood. But how does this process work?
When you take in the scent of an essential oil, your nose’s cells takes in the molecules of aroma, then sends messages to your brain’s limbic system. Our limbic system controls our emotions, which explains why certain scents can trigger feelings of excitement, happiness, joy, or peace.
But apart from triggering certain feeling states, our limbic system is also connected to the areas of the brain responsible for memory, hormone balance, stress levels, breathing, and heart rate. Caring for your limbic system with essential oil scents can bring balance to these systems.
The clear winner of our list of car oil diffusers is the NexGadget 50ML Mini USB Car Essential Oil Purifier Diffuser. It offers you a lightweight, compact build, a long battery life, and a natural-looking, attractive design. It will fit into any cup holder, and the unique LED feature is an added bonus.
Many of you already enjoy essential oils in your house. There is no reason to limit the benefits you receive from essential oils to just your home, and the NexGadget makes portability easier than ever. For a product that can be used both in the car and at home, this is a great choice.
Most of us spend a large portion of our lives driving. This means that making that time as healthy and enjoyable as possible is important for our overall quality of life. Transform the daily commute you take into an energizing, peaceful experience with a diffuser in your car. There are countless advantages to having these oils with you on your journeys behind the wheel.
Do you use essential oils or have an oil diffuser at home? Which are your favorite oils to use for different needs, such as energy or relaxation? Please leave a comment if you have any thoughts or additional recommendations to add.